Converting an Isel MiniFlat CNC-mill

Found an interesting link? Want some feedback on a new idea? Share it with the community here!
Forum rules
Please take a moment to read our site policies.

Converting an Isel MiniFlat CNC-mill

Postby VDX » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi,

for higher precision/accuracy for my laser-worx at home I'll convert a spare Miniflat-CNC-mill from Isel for my needs and some special options/tooling.

This seems to be a prototype to the new Miniflat-series from Isel - even smaller, stiffer linear stages, so more solid/sturdy -- and with servo-motors instead of steppers, what's common with them.

I've got the machine without controller (this would cost around 3k€!) - so I'm changing the motors for good steppers with the same form-factor and apply one of the newer USB-controllers with 1/256 microstepping @200 kHz stepping rates from imes-icore -- could be the max. speed with them is around 20m/min with this mechanics ...

Will show some of the conversion steps here, but can take a while ... have actually to prepare two fairs in two and five weeks ...

Viktor

Miniflat - offen.jpg
Miniflat - offen.jpg (316.98 KiB) Viewed 4249 times

Miniflat - geschlossen.jpg
Miniflat - geschlossen.jpg (374.25 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
VDX
Site Admin

Re: Converting an Isel MiniFlat CNC-mill

Postby Shadowfiend » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:16 pm

This looks like some serious hardware Victor :D

Can't wait to see what you can achieve with your knowledge of lasers ;)

Very impressed.
Shadowfiend

Postby Jethro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:53 pm

That looks like a fantastic piece of kit Viktor! I am very much looking forward to updates... :mrgreen:

Will you be doing experiments in sintering or laser marking?
Jethro
Site Admin

"Do it better, do it together."
Metalbot blog:here Development Wiki:here For Newcomers:here

Postby VDX » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:21 pm

... it's primary meant for engraving, marking and cutting ... and later for all other sorts of toolheads and fabbing methodes too ... or I'll search somewhere more place than actually available in my basement and reactivate/build some more specific machines, that would better fit for special tasks ;)

Viktor
VDX
Site Admin

Postby VDX » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:22 pm

... completed the assembly of the 'temporary prototype' CNC-controller for the servos.

The used controller is normally for stepper motors but capable of stepping frequencies of 100kHz (my old CNC-controller only max. 10kHz!) ... so I've got 4 servo-drivers that can be controlled with STEP/DIR similar to stepper drivers ... and some PS-es with 12V/2A (servo-driver electronic), 24V/1A (controller electronic) and 48 (58) Volts / 10 Amps for the servos.

@Jethro ... I've tried to add some images, but the board attachment limit seems to be reached, so no more upload possible ?!?

Viktor
VDX
Site Admin

Postby Calcetin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:52 am

Let me see what I can do. ;)

Edit: I requested a full backup from Jethro's host. When that's done we can evaluate drive space on Hostgator or do a temporary offline attachment hack to point here ...

I'll PM him with some questions after I wake tomorrow.

Edit 2: I did increase the attachment quota for the board a bit in the meantime.
Calcetin

Donovan

Postby VDX » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:39 am

... OK, here the two images - first the extracted stepper-controller:

Controller-IMC481.jpg
Controller-IMC481.jpg (269.73 KiB) Viewed 4192 times

... and here the complete wiring without the 48V/10A-PS:

Controller-wired.jpg
Controller-wired.jpg (434.14 KiB) Viewed 4192 times

Viktor
VDX
Site Admin

Postby VDX » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:14 pm

... today I've 'reassigned' the Y-axis of the machine to make it much more rigid.

Normally it's a moving gantry, what's causing wobbling when moving with high dynamics.

With the new setup the XZ-axis are separated from the Y-axe and fixed to the frame.

The Y-axe is fixed to the frame too and now moving 'alone', so the complete setup is stiffer and should be rigid enough for the max. possible 250mm/s and acceleration of 2g with the used controller -- or maybe up to 750mm/s with a faster controller, that can drive the UHU-drivers with max. speed ;)

Attached the images of the reassembly and resulting workroom ...

Viktor

XYZ-Arbeitsraum.jpg
XYZ-Arbeitsraum.jpg (345.55 KiB) Viewed 4177 times

Komplett verkabelt.jpg
Komplett verkabelt.jpg (238.31 KiB) Viewed 4177 times

Rahmen3 + Y-Achse.jpg
Rahmen3 + Y-Achse.jpg (265.47 KiB) Viewed 4177 times

Rahmen - leer.jpg
Rahmen - leer.jpg (280.19 KiB) Viewed 4177 times
VDX
Site Admin

Postby VDX » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:41 pm

... had some problems with missing or misleading infos in the (incomplete) documentation, but got the machine running with around 200mm/s ... but reduced again to 150mm/s for better stability.

The Y-axis got some 'hick-ups' at >200mm/s, but this could be simply insufficient current or voltage ... can rise the voltage from actually 48V@10A to 58V, and the current-regulating in the drivers to maybe 3x higher currents then now until the motors overheats.

The vendor of the controller told me, that it could be driven up to 200kHz, around 400 to 500mm/s -- so let's see, what's possible ... but then I'll need a much heavier and more rigid table to prevent the machine from tilting and 'moving' through the basement :lol:

But tomorrow I have to refocus again on diode-modules developing ;)

Viktor
VDX
Site Admin

Postby VDX » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:17 pm

... uploaded a first test video with the machine performing a test with 150mm/s:

Viktor
VDX
Site Admin

Next

Return to News, Ideas and Links